Sunshine on a cloudy day

Despite last weekend’s victory over Heerenveen by a big margin (0-4), all but stormy clouds are coming together above the ArenA. After having spoken about Keizer’s role, the board has decided he will finish the season, the Technical Board was up next. Following those talks, Edwin van der Sar has left his position as chairman of the aforementioned board, leaving Overmars (Technical director), Bergkamp (bridge between senior and youth football) and Ouaaili (Head of youth academy) in charge. And with the senior squad playing the way it does, it won’t be the last bit of drama we’ll get to see playing out backstage any time soon. Luckily, football at De Toekomst leaves us all in a far better mood.

Michael Reiziger’s successful tenure as the manager of Jong Ajax (watch out for him, he might be our first team manager come next season!) had it’s next chapter in Oss, where the reserve side played a game against the local FC with Sinkgraven, Eiting and Cassierra in the starting 11.

The game started out in an electrifying fashion and within a few minutes, the 0-1 was up on the scoreboard. After an intelligent through ball by Mazraoui, Dennis Johnsen put in a low cross for Dani de Wit, whom tapped it home. Moments later, a lofty ball towards the box was controlled by Cassierra, whom slammed it behind the Oss goalkeeper to make it 0-2. As an added bonus, a corner kick led to a aesthetically pleasing header from Mazraoui, reaching Ronald-heights with his perfectly timed jump and placing the ball into the far corner. A royal 0-3 lead was on the boards at half time.

In the second half, Jong Ajax’ urgency was, unfortunately, far less apparent, most likely fuelled by no longer having the need to score again. Sloppy passing gifted Oss the ball plenty of times, but the home side did not have the needed quality in their ranks to effectively pose a danger, leaving the remaining 45 minutes as a stalemate. Despite a few small chances, Jong Ajax would not score again and leave Oss on Friday with 3 points on the bus.

On Saturday afternoon, the Ajax U17’s made a trip to Rotterdam for a notoriously difficult away game against Feyenoord. This version of the Klassieker proved to be no less heated than usual, with Gery Vink’s side eventually pulling the shortest straw due to Feyenoord’s grit and work ethic being superior.

Fifteen minutes in, Feyenoord grabbed the lead. Afterwards, Brobbey, Hansen and Van Gelderen got their chances but didn’t find a way past Feyenoord’s goalkeeper. Half an hour into the game, Feyenoord once again proved their effectiveness, by scoring their second goal from a badly defended long ball. In the second half, Ajax didn’t fare much better, giving away plenty of chances for Feyenoord to make their 3rd. Injury time eventually gave Ajax a consolation goal, with Llansana scoring, but it wasn’t enough to prevent a 2-1 loss.

In Utrecht, the U19’s made their appearance on Saturday, quietly being confident in their own abilities after the fantastic games the side has played in September. On a rainy day one wouldn’t be unfamiliar of spotting in Stoke-on-Trent, an early opener was scored by Sven Botman, whom forced home his header from a corner kick (0-1). Just seven minutes later, the face of De Toekomst doubled it’s lead, as Jasper ter Heide fired home from outside the 18-yard box to make it 0-2.

In the second half, Heitinga’s boys quickly picked up the pace from where they had left it, with Finnish striker Yl├Ątupa dribbling past a few men before finishing it calmly. 0-3. Following that goal, Ajax grabbed the reigns for the remainder of the game and didn’t allow Utrecht a single look in. In the 75th minute, that dominance led to another goal. This time Mitchel Bakker aimed a low free kick at goal and found the back of the net. The final score of 0-5 was completed by Victor Jensen, whom promoted Aberkane’s cross into a goal with his header.